Advertisements for brands and products are pressed onto us by a deluge of industries. These industries support an economy that promotes consumerist values for the gain of few at the expense of many. How can we resist this? What could possibly change this onslaught of values based on acquiring and consuming?
Stop buying so much stuff.
Stop using so much stuff.
Stop throwing away so much stuff.
That’s what we can do.
There’s more — we can oppose consumerism by educating each other about its genealogy, implementation, and effects. We’ve got to — consumerism and our consumption is gobbling up the world’s resources. we’ve already used way more than our share. Participate in a teach-in with your social media networks. It’s worth it.
Here’s a start to our #SaturdaySchool collection of sources related to consumerism. Please add yours and share.
Stuff about Stuff:
- The Story of Stuff Project
- Story of Stuff
- Story of Bottled Water
- Story of Electronics
- Via @lostinhistory: Adam Curtis: The Century of the Self
- How West’s throwaway culture destroys basic freedoms in China
- VIDEO: The High Price of Materialism
- Consumerism, Values, and What Really Matters: An Interview with Tim Kasser
- Consumerism and Its Discontents
- Society of Addiction: Capitalism, Dopamine and the Consumer Junkie
- Many Documentaries about #Consumerism!
- Newly Discovered ‘Plastic Island’ Shows Global Epidemic Worsening
Losing Your [Consumerist] Religion
- Center 4 a new American Dream
- How to Be More Than a Mindful Consumer
- Psychology and Consumer Culture: The Struggle for a Good Life in a Materialistic World
- The Beyond Consumerism Program
- VIDEO: How to Host a Clothing Swap
- WEBINAR: How to Start a Tool Library
- The Rise of American Consumerism – Tupperware! American Experience
- Power of Social Media: New Wave of Consumer Activism Rising Out of Rana Plaza Tragedy
- 10 Reasons to Escape Excessive Consumerism » Becoming Minimalist
- Consumption: Fast Facts and Quick Actions
- Teaching Sustainability
- The Church of Stop Shopping
- My Plastic Free Life
- A Simple, Helpful Guide to Overcome Consumerism